Call for Symposia
Thank you for submitting many proposals.
We invite members of the Japan Neuroscience Society (JNS) and the Japanese Society for Neurochemistry (JSN) to submit symposium proposals based on the following guidelines. Approximately 50 proposals, including symposia planned and let by the JNS and JSN, and the Program Committee, will be selected. All society members are encouraged to submit proposals, and we are eagerly anticipating many novel projects and interdisciplinary collaborations.
Submission period: August 1-October 9, 2018 at 12:00 JST Closed
- Selection Criteria
- Recruitment Details
- Junior Researcher Symposia
- Joint International Symposia
- Corporate Sponsorship
- Submission Process
Selection of topics
We pay special attention to interdisciplinary topics in many specialized fields and controversial fields, and also consider the scientific value and novelty of these topics. Because we wish to introduce new topics from a wide range of fields, proposals that are considered to be very similar to those presented at the annual meetings in the last two years will be given a lower priority for selection.
Japan Neuroscience Society
Japanese Society for Neurochemistry
Promotion of internationalization
To promote internationalization, recruitment of overseas-based speakers (regardless of nationality) will be favored. Joint organization of symposia with foreign scientists is also encouraged. Please follow the guidelines outlined in the "Joint International Symposia" field below.
Variety in proposals
We seek to increase the diversity of presenters' (or joint organizers') age, gender, and institutional affiliations. We place special emphasis on participation from female or junior researchers. In the spirit of interdisciplinary cooperation, we encourage proposals from presenters (or joint organizers) who are not members of the JNS or JSN, but who are members of relevant academic neuroscience societies including those related to clinical medicine. Junior researchers (i.e., those who earned their doctoral degrees within the last 10 years) who wish to become organizers, please refer to the "Junior Researcher Symposia" section.
- The time frame for symposia is 120 minutes (tentative) for 4–6 presenters. Presentations are to be in English, although discussions following the presentations may be in either English or Japanese.
- The main organizer must be regular or junior members of the JNS or JSN. A joint organizer may be added, and the main and joint organizers can chair the session together. However, the main organizer is responsible for planning, scheduling, and moderating the session.
- Before submitting a roster of presenters for a symposium, the organizers should personally obtain consent from all of the presenters.
- Conference registration fees will be waived for presenters who are not members of the JNS or JSN.
- Overseas-based presenters requesting financial assistance from the meeting must write an appeal in the “Other comments” section of the application. If sufficient financial resources are secured, we may provide financial support for symposia that are selected based on our evaluation.
- We may ask for similar proposals to be merged, presenters to be adjusted, and/or titles to be changed. We may also propose additional presenters based on related abstracts. It is likely that some proposals may not be selected. Organizers should refrain from making guarantees to prospective presenters.
- An individual may not submit multiple presentations as a first author, regardless of the presentation categories (symposia, oral sessions, or posters). Symposium presenters cannot be first authors of presentations in other symposia, oral sessions, or posters. Organizers should ask presenters to respect this stipulation.
- Please note that symposium speakers shall not apply for any travel awards to facilitate the participation of Neuro2019.
- The Program Committee will select proposals, and if necessary, suggest mergers of symposia proposals on related topics. The Program Committee will announce the results by the end of November 2018 (tentative). The organizers must confirm registration of all presenters, as well as any submission of their English abstracts within the registration period.
Junior Researcher Symposia
We support symposia organized by junior researchers who earned their doctoral degrees within the last 10 years at the time of the deadline date, October 9, 2018; these are referred to as "Junior Researcher Symposia".
Proposals for such symposia must include overseas-based presenters. We are considering preferentially providing selected proposals with grants-in-aid of ¥100,000-¥300,000 per symposium, as travel support for overseas-based presenters, if financial resources are secured. We look forward to receiving original and enthusiastic proposals.
How to apply
Select “Request for Junior Researcher Symposia Aid” on the application page, and upload the CV of the representative organizer.
Joint International Symposia
We are eager to support overseas joint organizers, as these symposia will promote international cooperation.
We are considering preferentially providing selected proposals with travel grants of ¥100,000–¥300,000 per symposium, if the financial resources are secured.
How to apply
Select “Request for Joint International Symposia Aid” on the application page, and upload the CV of the overseas joint organizer.
Expenses associated with a symposium are at the discretion of the organizers who propose the session; however, they may be covered by a matching corporate sponsorship. Based on the list of accepted symposia, the Meeting Secretariat will contact companies with possible interest in providing sponsorship.
Once the Meeting Secretariat and the companies reach an agreement about corporate sponsorship, we will notify the organizers of the respective symposia. We thank you for understanding in this matter.
- The sponsoring company will provide financial support for the symposium, covering expenses such as transportation costs for invited speakers from overseas.
- Following the titles of symposia, the names of sponsoring companies will appear as “Sponsored by XXXX” on the meeting website and the meeting program. In the relevant section of the meeting website (i.e., the list of companies), a hyperlink will be provided to the sponsoring company’s website.
- Only documents approved by both the Executive Committee and the symposium organizer can be distributed during the symposium.
- When an organizer is contacted by a corporation for a potential sponsorship, the Meeting Secretariat must be informed immediately. We will accept or reject the symposium strictly based on the proposed symposium content, without regard for a symposium organizer’s ability to recruit corporate sponsorship. Please do not make any advance assurances to potential sponsors concerning the likelihood of a proposal’s acceptance.
Please complete your submissions from the following submission page.
The main organizer of a symposium is fully responsible for the content of his/her submission. In principle, the organizer (along with the joint organizer, if present) is expected to be a symposium chairperson.
- Symposium title
- Information about the organizer (one person who must be a regular or junior member of the JNS or JSN): name, affiliation, contact information (email address and phone number)
- Information about the joint organizer, if applicable (only one person): name, affiliation, contact information (email address and phone number)
- Synopsis (approximately 400 characters)
- Information about presenters: names, affiliations, email addresses and phone numbers
- Individual presentation titles *Tentative titles may be entered.
- Representative scientific publications of each presenter (1–2 publications per person)
- Symposium keywords (5 keywords)
- Special note. Please indicate your intended contribution in terms of the main theme of the meeting.
If the topic is of clinical relevance, please specify. (within 1000characters)
Contact: Neuro2019 Secretariat
A&E Planning Co., Ltd.
6F Shin-Osaka Grand Bldg.,
2-14-14 Miyahara, Yodogawa-ku,
Osaka 532-0003, Japan
Tel: 06-6350-7163/Fax: 06-6350-7164